E L M
RS. ' '
LYNBROOK, NEW ^ U EAST ROCKAWAY
VOL. 10 NO. 37 SitwncVrSloo^^^^^^^ LY3-1300 THE FAMILY NEWSPAPER Thursday, February 4,1971 10^
1870 Landmark Destroyed
Photos hiy Bove
At 12 midnight, Saturday, January 30—Start of fire.
A spectacular blaze destroyed an
old landmark in Lynbrook, formerly
a hotel built in 1870 by FrankSchlos-ser.
The fancy structure on Merrick
Road and Hempstead Avenue was de-signed
by John Frimand, a Danish
architect who resided in Lynbrook,
The hotel was a stop for the stage
coach from Jamaica to Freeport. In
later years it was a transfer point
for the famous trolley from Jamaica
to points east.
In recent years it was altered
to house stores and business offices.
The fire started about 11:30 PM on
Saturday, January 30, and raged for
more than 15 hours. More than 500
firemen from East Rockaway, Mal-verne,
Rockville Center, Hewlett,
Valley Stream, Lake view and Lyn-brook
fought the fire in 20 man
relays throughout Saturday and Sun-day,
in high winds and low temper- An early picture of the Schlosser Hotel,
Signal 10 a working fire.
ature but failed to save the three
and a half story building.
The fire was discovered by Don-ald
Maffucci, first deputy Chief of
the Lynbrook Fire Department about
11:30 P.M. as he was returning from
a Rescue call.
The stores destroyed in the fire
were: Clayton Jewelry Store; the
House of Materials; Leslie's Dad, an
apparel shop; the Eichen and Appel
Inc., a warehouse for sundry prod-ucts;
John's Barber Shop; the Plaza
employment Agency; McDonald's
Liquor Store; Carla and Joe's Coffee
Shop and Lillian's Beauty Salon, Four
business offices were also destroyed.
Mayor Becker and the Village
Trustees have moved to require the
owners to demolish and clean away
all debris promptly, or the village
will do the same at the cost and
expense of the owners.
Fire in full-rage—approxo 1 AM,
Malverne's Fire Dept's. Aerial still punnping water at 9 AM,
10 hours after the start of fire.
Looking fronn parking field off Merrick Road, in rear of old
hotel, which housed Eichen and Appel Warehouse,