William K. Holmes Dies
' • The staff of Village employees lost a notable figure in the death of Wi-lliam
K. Holmes, veteran Chief Electrician at the Fbwer Plant, who died on
Monday, January 19, 1953.
Mr. Holmes was born on December 10, 1886, in Greenwich, N. J. Asa
young man, he began his active service as a railroad worker at Vineland, N.J.
He showed an intense interest in the newly developing field of electricity, and
finally secured a position with the Philadelphia Electric Company, where he ad-vanced
rapidly in his chosen occupation. Whenthe federal government took over
the Panama Canal Zone, he was called as an electrician to participate in the in-stallation
of the complicated electrical apparatus operating the locks of the fa-mous
Canal. From there he went to the General Electric Company, and while
working for them he was called upon, in 1932, to help install and supervise the
apparatus in the Freeport Power Plant. The work completed, he joined the Power
Plant personnel on January 21, of that year, and had acted as Chief Electrician
since that time.
Mr. Holmes had the affectionate esteem of his fellow workers in the Po-wer
Plant and among the other employees of the Village. He leaves a widow ,
Mrs. HelenHolmes; one daughter, Mrs. Edna Garretson;and one granddaughter.
Funeral services, under the auspices of the Freeport Elks Club, were held on
Wednesday evening, January 21, and for the Public on Thursday, January 22.
Internment at Greenfield Cemetery.
SNOW REMOVAL NOTE -
Whenever a snow storm occurs, it is essential that cars are not parked
on the streets, in order that the Highway Department may be enabled to remove
the snow promptly. This situation is covered by Chapter 7 of our new Unified
Code Ordinance 7.104 "Cleaning Sidewalks" and provides that snow or ice must
be removed "within 24 hours after snow has ceased or ice has formed.
Your 1952 sticker for commuter parking is valid until February 1, 1953,
at which time -upon presentation of car plate registration and payment of$1.00
& new permit will be issued. Don't let your permit lapse.
NOTE: The Motor Vehicle Bureau advised that it is illegal to leave your 1952
license plate on front of your car after February 1, 1953. A word to the wise! !.
NORTHWEST PARK FENCING
Plans and specifications have been prepared to advertise requesting bids
for fencing, to get the first stage of the Northwest Park under way. It.is the
hope of the Park Commission to be able to offer playground facilities, on a li-mited
scale, to the boys and girls of the area by the summer of 1953.
MEMO For DOG OWNERS
A Village Ordinance prohibits owners from permitting dogs to run at large
or to be permitted upon the streets, unless they are "effectively restrained by
a chain or leash not exceeding six feet in length".
PREPARATION For ELECTION
In preparation for the Village Election, which falls this year on March 17,
the work of copying the registration lists has been completed. This year, with
nearly 14,000 names on the rolls, marks the high tide of registration in the Vil-lage.
If you were registered for the regular election in November 195E, you
will not have to register for the Village election; but if your name is not on the
rolls, be sure to make personal application to registration board on March 7.
Vol. Z - No. 2 February. 1953
DEDICATION Of NEW FIRE HOUSE
The new fire house of Hose Co. #5 at Leonard Avenue at Star Place, will
be dedicated on Sunday afternoon, March 15th at 2:30 P. M. . The public is in-vited
to attend the ceremonies and to inspect this latest addition to the Freeport
fine fire-fighting equipment. The new house replaces one that has been stand-ing
for about thirty years. It shelters a fire truck and provides a meeting room
for the members of the Hose Company.
Hose Company #5 consists of 47 men and is one of a unit of seven com-panies,
whose combined work result in Freeport having the lowest insurance
rate available. The Company was organized 30 years ago and was sworn as
part of the FreeportFire Department when the area in which it was located was
annexed to the Village. The original membership consisted of 40 men from the
Russell Hose Co. if 2 of Roosevelt. The original fire house was constructed by
the Russell Hose Co. #2. The "Fulton" hose truck purchased in 1921 was con-tinued
in use by Hose Co. #5 for nearly 20 years,until the present modern piece
of fire apparatus was provided. . .
The ceremonies on March 15th, 1953, will be opened by the former Chief,
Julius-Jacobs, Jr. , and the program will be, as follows:
(1) Welcome by Chief John S. Marra
(Z)Raising of the Flag by Capt. George Marshall, Lt. Raymond Barrett, Lt.
Jos. LoPresti - presented by Chief Marra
(3) National Anthem - Freeport Fire Department Band, under direction of Mr.
William Dayton, Vocalist will be Mrs. Clifford Brown
(4) Invocation by Department Chaplain, Rev. Scott
(5) Honored Guests recognized by Chief Marra • • -
(6) Selection by the Freeport Fire Department Band
(7) Master of Ceremonies - Cyril C. Ryan
(8) Presentation of Keys to Mayor Robert L. Doxsee by Samuel Krohn, Edward
Wallace, and W. Thomas Schaardt
(9) Presentation of Keys to Chief Marra by Mayor Doxsee
10)Presentation of Keys to Capt. Marshall by Chief Marra
ll)Guest Speaker - Mayor Doxsee
12)Presentation of Company Flag - by Deputy Chiefs Franklin Grempel and
William Noll to the Company Officers, Capt. Marshall, 1st Lt. Barrett,
and 2nd Lt. LoPresti
13)Selection by the Freeport Fire Department Band
14)Thanks to Committee - Chief Marra
15)Benediction by Rev. Father Drab; President of Inter-Faith Clergy Council.
Design for Freeport's Federally Financed Housing Project
FEILHEIMER, WAGNER «. VOLLMER
The above architect's sketch shows the design for the FreeportHousing
Project, to be financed out of funds provided for such purposes by the
Federal Government. The design was prepared under direction of the
Freeport Housing Authority, in conformity with the vote by the Village
electorate. The Housing Authority consists of John M. Woerner, Chain,
man; Moxey Rigby, Vice Chairman; the Rev. Father John J. Madden;-
Benjamin J. Reiner, Secretary; and Philip Nickelsberg. The Admin-istrative
staff consists of Lester H. Baumann, Counsel; Thomas W.
Cann, Executive Director; Mrs. Dorothy V. Walsh, stenographer and
bookkeeper. The architects, who have designed numerous similar pro-jects,
are Fellheimer, Wagner . and Vollmer.
The Authority has held numerous meetings with the Village Board to
discuss details. Although the Freeport project is under the Federal
Plan, it is necessary to conform with the New York State Public Hous-ing
Law, which requires prior approval by the Planning Commission
and the Village of a site before its adoption. Approval was finally made
by the Planning Commission and the Village Board of the site located
at the northwest corner of Merrick Road and Buffalo Avenue. There
followed tentative approval of the site by the Public Housing Adminis-tration
with instructions to proceed with the preparation of the Devel-opment
Program. Contracts have been negotiated with Baldwin and
Cornelius for Land Survey; Robert E. Patterson and Gabriel C. De
Costerd for Appraisals; Title Guarantee and Trust Company for Title
Policies; and Roy Wenzlick for a Housing Survey. Fellheimer, Wag-ner
and Vollmer and Baldwin & Cornelius are preparing data for use
in formulating the Development Program. This program is important
for the information it conveys. The Public Housing Administration
will finally determine whether or not the project is feasible. Upon
determining the practicability of the project, the Public Housing Ad-ministration
will give its approval, after which land acquisition and
physical development of the Project will be undertaken.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
This digital image may be freely used for educational uses, as long as it is not altered in any way. No commercial reproduction or distribution of this image is permitted without written permission of the Freeport Memorial Library, 144 W. Merrick Road, Freeport, NY 11520 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org